Pirna city museum is one of the oldest of its kind in Saxony. At the city museum, records and information about life in and around Pirna are collected and stored. The comprehensive museum library is open for research and private study. As such, the city museum is an integral part of the Dresden cultural region. In addition to exhibitions about the city history, you can see changing exhibitions with different focal topics.
150th Anniversary of the Pirna city museum
Located on the grounds of the former Dominican monastery, the city museum is one of the oldest of its kind in Saxony. It was founded in 1861 by the local Trade and Business Association. In 1878, the Saxon Switzerland's Mountaineering Club started to exhibit their own nature, folklore and local history collections. The collections from both museums were later combined and are exhibited at the former chapter house of the monastery since 1923. After an extensive restoration, the city museum reopened in 1993. The new exhibitions focus on the Elbe Sandstone Mountains and the city's history. Building remains, parts of which date back to the time of the monastery, were integrated into the architectural ensemble as the new entrance building. The award-winning architectural design incorporates the old stonework in a modern construction.