Bereiche

Navigation

Inhalt

Richard-Wagner-Stätten Graupa

Richard Wagner, who was employed as Royal Saxon Court Conductor in nearby Dresden, spent the summer of 1846 on recreational vacation in Pirna's district of Graupa. The then untouched landscape and the idyllic surroundings at the foot of the Saxon Switzerland gave Wagner the inspiration he needed to compose his famous opera "Lohengrin".

In memory of the composer's stay, Max Gaßmeyer, a teacher from Leipzig, later installed an exhibition in the two rooms that served as holiday accommodation for Wagner and his wife Minna. Today, the only authentic Wagner residence in the East of Germany is also the oldest Wagner museum worldwide.

At the Wagners' reconstructed living quarters of the "Lohengrinhaus", you can see a permanent exhibition about "Wagner and Dresden".

Permanent exhibition

"Wagner's time as Royal Saxon Court Conductor in Dresden"

Dresden, where he spent his childhood and early adulthood, was Wagner's inspirational home from 1842 to 1949. During this period, he staged his operas "Rienzi" (October 1842), "The Flying Dutchman" (January 1843) and "Tannhäuser" (October 1845). Influenced by his friend and colleague Karl August Röckel, the composer also got involved in the revolutionary movement of the time. Because of his active participation in the May Uprising 1849 – he did however not take to the arms – Wager had to flee Germany and settled in Zurich. His exile only ended in 1862, when the warrant for his arrest was lifted. The première of his opera "Lohhengrin", which he had completed before the Dresden uprising, was staged in Weimar, conducted by his friend Franz Liszt. The Dresden première of "Lohengrin" was in 1859.

Sheet music, photos, letters and other records offer interesting insights into Wagner's life and work during his Dresden years, which were marked by his employment as Royal Saxon Court Conductor and his involvement in the political, artistic and intellectual movements of his time.

back

Informationen

Richard-Wagner-Staetten

Visitor address:
Kultur- und Tourismus Pirna GmbH

Richard-Wagner-Stätten Graupa
Richard-Wagner-Straße 6
01796 Pirna OT Graupa
Fon +49 (0) 3501 548229
Fax +49 (0) 3501 548229
Kontakt


Opening times:
Tue-Fri 12:00–18:00
Sat/Sun 10:00-18:00
(closing on Monday)


Principal Office:
Kultur- und Tourismus Pirna GmbH
Am Markt 7
01796 Pirna

bank account:
Ostsächsische Sparkasse Dresden
BLZ: 850 503 00
Kto-Nr.: 3 100 111 400

tax number:
210/112/03369

registered:
Amtsgericht Dresden
HRB 23792

chairman:
Klaus-Peter Hanke

director:
Matthias Armbruster

chief representative:
Jürgen Scheible